In a Nutshell
Amankora Bumthang is a luxury boutique lodge located in the Choekhor Valley in the east of Bhutan and has 16 exceptional suites.
At a Glance
- Located in the remote Choekhor (Jakar) Valley in Bumthang
- This is as far east as you can get in Bhutan staying in luxury accommodation
- So many fantastic day-trips on offer, you can easily spend three nights or more here
- Right next to the former Wangdichholing Palace where you can visit for evening prayers in the monastery
- Superb accommodation with views over the central courtyard and palace
Amankora Bumthang is next to the Wangdichholing Palace. It is a former royal residence and now home to Buddhist monks. One of the best experiences at Amankora Bumthang is to walk across to the Monastery and watch the evening prayers.
Bumthang is known as the spiritual centre of Bhutan. The area is packed with monasteries and temples. It is also stunningly beautiful, with rolling hills and several different remote valleys you can visit on day trips from Bumthang. The lodge surrounds a large central lawn with a fire pit at the centre. This is ideal for heading for a glass of this or that in the evening.
The rooms, as with all Amankora lodges, are superb. They feature free-standing Terrazzo-clas bathtubs, banquette window seats overlooking the Wangdichholing Palace. You will also enjoy a traditional wood-burning Bukhari wood-burner to keep you snug and warm on colder nights.
Bumthang now has direct flights from Paro, so you can work your way out there and then fly back. Furthermore, if you are on a second-time trip to Bhutan, you can continue further east or stay here for a week doing the many experiences Amankora offer. For example, you can take a variety of day walks in the area, such as the superb Bushman Trail, or explore the remote valleys of Tang, Ura and Chhume. This allows you to get totally off-the-beaten-track and return to absolute comfort at night.