Walking Tour of Colonial Rangoon
The downtown area of Rangoon (now Yangon) was laid out by the British in the mid 1850s, and much of the colonial architecture is still in evidence, albeit somewhat decaying. Begin at City Hall, constructed in 1936 and blending Burmese and British design. The former immigration department next door was opened in 1910 as an upmarket department store, Rowe & Company. Continue past the High Court, New Law Courts, Custom House, Port Authority and Irrawaddy Flotilla Company. End at the Strand Hotel for a cup of tea in this superb colonial era hotel.